HOME » WHY CHOOSE US
As Sal continues to grow as a popular kiting and windsurfing destination, so does the number of people arriving to open kite schools and to a lesser extent windsurfing schools. When you arrive you will meet many people offering kite lessons and rentals; from their car, from a location in town, or from a location on the beach. It is easy to get lost in all the information people are giving you, especially if you are a beginner, or to know which are good schools and which are not.
As a result I have created a list of reasons as to WHY to Choose Us.
- We are a fully licensed and insured school.
- Our material is updated every year for both teaching as well as rentals.
- We do a maximum of 2 people per instructor.
- Each client has their own set of material. Often in schools that do groups of 4 or even 2, 2 people will share 1 kite.
- In your first lesson (both kite and windsurf) you will do some beach training and you WILL go in the water as well.
- We will teach you where the conditions are best: some schools teach just at kite beach, which over the years has become very busy. Although kite beach is a great location, often learners do not like it because of the waves and the amount of people kiting there. Everyday we check the conditions, the wind and the level of clients we are teaching and decide where we feel would be best for the client or clients in questions.
- There are 3 options for teaching: The Bay of Santa Maria, The beach in front of the Riu hotel, and Kite Beach. We have schools in the first two locations.
- If you are alone we try our best to match you up with someone the same level as you, so you both clients get the most out of the lesson
- If the conditions are not good, we will tell you, so the choice becomes yours if you want to do the lesson or not. We will not force lessons for the sake of it.
- If we really feel the wind is too little or too strong we will cancel the lessons for safety reasons, as it not worth doing a lesson if you are not going to learn anything, or if the conditions will put you off the sport.
- We take care to look at the wind forecast, if we think you will not be able to finish a course or that the conditions are better suited for surf or windsurf we will inform you, so that you can make an informed decision on what you want to do.
- Aside from the introduction lesson, where you spend some time on the beach, the rest of the learning time is spent in the water
- If you feel uncomfortable being alone in the water, we will recommend private lessons. The instructor will stay with you in the water until you feel ready to go on your own.
- If you are renting, we limit our rentals so that you have access to a wide range of kite sizes and boards during your rental period.
- The school has been in operation for 11 years and was the first kite school on the island. As a result the owners plus the team completely understand the conditions and have extensive knowledge of kitesurfing.
- Like our kite lessons we only do two people per instructor or private lessons
- On average, due to the small group sizes, it will take you between 3-4hours to become independent.
- Although there is some beach training involved in the lessons, 90% of the lessons are in the ocean.
- In the first lesson you will already learn how to go out, turn, and come back BY YOURSELF. (you are not tied to another board or a buoy). The instructor will be in the water with you, but you will be learning from the beginning to windsurf independently.
- Each client will get their own set of equipment. If the conditions are not optimal and there is a need to share one board and sail, then we will do more time.
- The instructor will TEACH you all the basics and explain the reasons for what he is asking you to do (why you hold the sail in a certain way, where to put your feet etc), so that you have all the tools to advance.
- We have TEACHING material, which is specific to beginners and therefore easier to learn on. We also have a range of advanced material for those wanting advanced lessons.
- The Bay in front of our Santa Maria school is perfect for learning, as there are no rocks, no reefs, and calm water. When conditions are not great here, we transfer you to our Riu hotel school for the lessons. Because the Riu hotel school is on the west side of the island, the conditions there are opposite to the conditions in Santa Maria.
- If you are renting, we limit our long term rentals, to ensure that clients have access to a range of board and sail sizes during their rental period.
•The Riu hotel school provides excellent conditions for free riders wanting to practice jumps, speed sailing etc.
•The Santa Maria school offers access to two waves points, at either end of the Bay. This year when the waves were really big in Santa Maria, nearly all windsurfers came to the west coast, as it was completely flat there.
•You can pay in Cash, or Visa and MasterCard at our Santa Maria school. If you go crazy when you are here and spend all your money on grog, food, and surfing, then you can also use our internet at the school and make a bank transfer.
•Our instructors may not be the BEST surfers in the world or even Cabo Verde, but they are EXCELLENT TEACHERS. They have learnt how to teach people of all different levels, ages, and gender. They are patient and understanding, but also fun. Our focus has always been to have the best teachers who can make sure that our clients not only learn but enjoy the experience of learning no matter what the level of the client
- Our team can teach lessons in the following languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Dutch, and Portuguese
- Each school is equipped with a friendly team, that will do their best to make your stay enjoyable. It is not unheard of, our team members going out into Santa Maria with clients for drinks, food, dancing etc. They all know the island well and live here full time, and therefore are more than happy to advise you on any other activities you would like to do when you are here.
- A large percentage of our clients are people who come back every year. Because of the limits we place on groups and rentals we have managed to maintain a family/team feel and ensure that each client is personally attended to.
- If you are still not sure, then come and try us out. If you do not like us after the first lesson off a course or your first day of the rental, then we will give you back the balance of your money.
- Most importantly you should choose us because we can Hoola Hoop!
- (Excerpt from children’s day at the school, where we teach local kids to windsurf, surf, and hoola hoop)